The most important factors when choosing new glasses or sunglasses are comfort and confidence. If your shades fit well and make you feel good, that’s really all that matters!
That said, if you’re having trouble deciding on a pair, or simply want some pointers about which shapes may work well with your square face, we’re here to help!
In this guide, we’ll delve into the characteristics of a square face and explore frame styles that can enhance your best features to their fullest potential.
How to Know If You Have a Square Face Shape
Before exploring the best glasses shapes for square faces, it’s important to determine if you indeed have a square face shape.
Here are some key characteristics to look for when identifying a square face:
- Forehead: Individuals with square faces typically have broad, flat foreheads that are roughly the same width as their jawline.
- Cheekbones: Square faces have prominent cheekbones that are almost in line with the forehead and jawline.
- Jawline: A key feature of a square face is a strong and angular jawline. The jaw has well-defined edges and a width similar to the forehead.
- Chin: Square faces often have a square or slightly rounded chin, contributing to the overall angular appearance of the face.
- Face length: The face length of a square face is relatively proportional to its width. This means the distance from the forehead to the chin is approximately the same as the distance between the two sides of the face.
To determine your face shape:
- Take a selfie or have someone take a picture of your face. You may want to trace the outline of your face using a photo editing tool or simply by drawing on a printed photo to help visualize the shape.
- Take a close look at your forehead, cheekbones, jawline, and chin.
- Compare these characteristics to the key features of a square face mentioned above.
If you’re unsure whether your face is square or perhaps another shape, compare your features to those of other common face shapes, such as oval, round, heart, or long.
The Best Sunglasses Shapes for Square Faces
Once you’ve determined that you have a square face, it’s time for the fun part: exploring the best glasses to complement your features!
The goal is to find frames that balance a square face’s angular and strong features, softening the overall appearance while accentuating its natural beauty.
Here are some top frame styles to consider.
#1: Round Frames
Round frames have been a popular choice for eyewear for many years and are particularly well suited for square face shapes. Their soft, curved lines help counterbalance the angular features of a square face, creating a harmonious and visually appealing appearance.
#2: Oval Frames
Like round frames, oval glasses can help break up the strong lines of a square face. They offer a more subtle and elegant option than round frames, making them a versatile choice that can easily transition between casual and formal settings.
#3: Cat Eye Frames
Cat-eye glasses are a stylish choice that can add a touch of glamour and femininity to your look. The frame’s upswept design can help lift the face, drawing attention away from the jawline while emphasizing the eyes and cheekbones.
#4: Browline Frames
Browline frames are characterized by a bold, prominent upper frame that emphasizes the browline while leaving the lower part of the lens exposed or minimally framed. This style can help create a visual balance between the upper and lower portions of the face, making the jawline appear less prominent.
#5: Rimless or Semi-Rimless Frames
For a minimalistic, modern look, consider rimless or semi-rimless glasses. These frames create less contrast with your facial features, allowing your natural face shape to shine through without being overpowered by the frame.
Frame Shapes That Might Not Work as Well
While it’s important to choose eyewear that makes you feel confident and comfortable, some frame shapes might not work as well on square faces due to their potential to overemphasize angular features. Frame styles that might be less flattering on a square face include:
- Square and rectangular frames: Both square and rectangular frames tend to mirror the strong lines and angles of a square face, which can make the overall appearance more rigid and less balanced. If you like this frame shape, consider glasses with rounded edges to soften the look slightly.
- Super small or oversized frames: Frames that are too small or too large can disrupt a square face’s overall balance and proportions. It’s essential to choose glasses that are in harmony with your facial features and don’t overwhelm or understate your look.
- Angular geometric frames: Frames with sharp angles and geometric shapes can accentuate the angular features of a square face, creating a less balanced appearance. Instead, opt for frames with softer lines and curves to provide a more complementary look.
Remember, these are general guidelines, and personal preferences should always take precedence. If you feel confident and love the way a particular frame looks on you, don’t hesitate to wear it! Confidence is the key to rocking any style.
Discover Your Perfect Pair of Glasses
By understanding the unique characteristics of your face shape and considering the various frame styles that best complimentcomplement your features, you’re well on your way to choosing eyewear that will enhance your natural beauty and skyrocket your confidence.
At Privé Revaux, we take pride in providing affordable, high-quality, handcrafted eyewear for every face shape.
From using polarized lenses with 100% UV protection in every pair of our sunglasses to outfitting most of our glasses with blue-light-blocking technology, we leave no stone unturned to ensure the utmost quality in both style and functionality.
Explore Privé Revaux’s collection of glasses and sunglasses for square faces. By following our tips and your personal compass, you’re sure to find the perfect pair to balance your angular facial features and showcase your unique style!